Church History

A brief outline of the history of our Church – The First Hundred Years

The stone laying ceremony for the present Church was laid on the 2nd July 1894 and was opened as a Chapel in October 1894 by the then Chairman of the District the Revd. Albert Bishop.  The first minister was Revd. S. Shrimpton.

In 1916 a small Baptismal Font was presented to the Chapel by George Hughes in memory of his daughter Cathie Hughes.  The Hughes family has been acknowledged as paying long and faithful service to the Chapel.

In 1918 a pipe organ was bought and was dedicated on 1st May 1919 and a toilet and kitchen added six years later.

In 1920 the Chapel was licenced for Weddings and this year the Methodist Union took place, a few years after this the Wesley Guild was formed.

In 1934 electric lighting was installed and in 1939 a blower fitted to the organ.

In 1946 water was laid to the kitchen and toilets and then in 1948 a stained glass window in memory of George Hughes.

In 1956 the Youth Club was formed.

In 1957 Women’s fellowship began which is still meeting on a regular basis and in 1959 the Men’s fellowship.

The Wives Group was formed in 1964 which again is still meeting.

Alterations were made in 1965 when a two storey building replaced the old School Room.

In 1967 A Girl Guide Company and Brownie Pack was formed and in 1970 the Young People’s fellowship.

In 1972 Wombourne was transferred from the Stourbridge Circuit to the Wolverhampton Trinity Circuit and there was a re-dedication of the organ on 4th March 1972.

1973 saw the start of house groups.

1980 saw a significant landmark as on the 27th September there was a thanksgiving service with the re-opening of the Church after it had been completely turned around with the Minister at the time being Revd. K. Hawkins.

There was a second re-dedication service of the organ on 11th Jun3 1983.

In 1994 the Centenary was celebrated with the then Minister Revd. Alan Francom.

 

The material for the above is taken from ‘Wombourne Methodist Church 1894 to 1994’ which can be read in full at Wombourne Library, Church Road, Wombourne, WV5 9EZ.